Are you a responsible, caring, fun, and energetic person who loves working with kids? Come work for South Bay Eco Kids this summer and spend your days making kids smile and creating memories of a lifetime. We are seeking Camp Counselors for our 2023 Summer nature camp program for children ages 7 – 10 years. Working under the supervision of the Camp Director, our Camp Counselors oversee children participating in a variety of enrichment and recreational activities with environmental themes.
- Together with other Camp Counselors, safely lead activities and supervise a group of 21 children.
- Execute activity plans around academic enrichment, recreation, and the arts.
- Demonstrate leadership and a commitment to education, inspiration and encouragement of youth.
- Highlight student work and promote learning in nature.
- Implement age-appropriate classroom and behavior management techniques.
- Represent the mission of TeachingGreen and SBEK and uphold all policies and procedures.
- Help maintain accurate daily attendance records and ensure that students sign-in and sign-out each day.
- Connect with other Counselors to improve participant experiences.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships, and communication with Director, Counselors and each youth’s family members regarding all aspects of participant’s involvement in program.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with children, parents, school and staff at all times.
- Adhere to workplace safety guidelines.
- Attend all required staff meetings and trainings on and off-site.
- Wear SBEK polo shirts while on program site.
- Administer first-aid in case of minor injury.
- Help keep the base camp area tidy and presentable.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required. Copy of transcript must be provided upon request.
- At least one year paid or volunteer experience in recreational/environmental learning environment with children.
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to lead children in a variety of games and activities.
- Interest in the sciences (with particular focus on environmental) and youth recreation.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, as needed.
- Ability to use good judgment and maintain calm in challenging situations.
- Access to reliable transportation to arrive to work site at scheduled time consistently. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver’s license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.
- Commitment to attend each day of the program is required.
- Valid CPR/First Aid certification (note that certification is valid for 2 years).
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting).
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
- Camp runs Monday – Friday
- 2023 Summer Camp Dates TBD
- Camper hours are 10am – 4pm; Counselor hours are 9:45am – 4:15pm
- A total of twenty days during Summer, 2023
Important Details about the Position
- Location: Wilderness Park, 1102 Camino Real, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
- Training provided
- Summer 2023 compensation: $18 – $22, commensurate with experience
- Bonuses available based on performance, attendance and contributions to the program
- Part-time contractor position